Sunday, December 30, 2007
Friday, December 28, 2007
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
But this list. This list bothers me. It's like "holy crap. I am getting old." I know 32 isn't old but now... the things that shaped my life and were SO IMPORTANT to a 15 - 19 year old girl are just trivia. Some realizations...
- Titanic came out 10 years ago. Damn. You know, I don't remember if I saw it in the theater. I think I did. I remember being on my first trip to Denver and with a group of people and trying to go see it but it was sold out every show they were willing to sell tickets for.
- James Hetfield of Metallica now has grey hair.
- Vanilla Ice is still teh ghey. And I still know most of the words to Ice Ice Baby. That's just sad. And still mumble alot of MMMBop.
- Speaking of, the Hanson kids are married?! With kids?! And MMMBop was 10 years ago. Crap.
- TLC's "Waterfalls" was the song I remember hearing after I was told a guy who I grew up with shot and killed himself. He was the bully across the street. I couldn't really feel bad. I tried but I didn't. I did milk that little tidbit of information for some sympathy.
- I have vivid memories of going into the Student Center at Belmont and watching "Nuthin' but a G thang" and "California Love." I love the latter. It is one of my favorite songs. That whole Mad Max themed video is great.
- Alot of the follow-ups with the artists... they are now older and fat. And in the case of Britney Spears - crazy, too.
- Nine Inch Nails should have been on that list. It made the 50 that didn't make the top 100 along with Gin and Juice, Nookie, and Been Caught Stealing. I first heard "Closer" as the opening song in Seven. I went to see that movie with French (one of my philosophy professors. I saw her recently on the History Channel talking about ancient Grecian warfare. Coolest woman ever. She should have been a Greek goddess. She looked like one... and should have been on Broadway instead of talking about Charles Pierce), Jeb, and someone else. I don't remember. I do remember they were mad at me for choosing Seven since it scared everyone so badly. And thus began my love affair with scary, tripped out horror flicks.
- I don't get REM, Pearl Jam or Nirvana....
- 90's fashion was really really bad. From Hammer Pants to Grunge in the space of 3 years... (1990-1993). Yuck.
- U2's "One" makes me want to do that worship CCM pose... drop to my knees and throw my arms out to the side and belt it out at the top of my lungs.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
“Eric Volz was released from a Nicaraguan prison hospital earlier today (12/21) and will be in hiding, due to reports of threats against him.
We have reason to believe he is being followed and are taking every precaution to assure his safety.
Our family is overwhelmed by the incredible outpouring of support of Eric’s innocence over the past year. In the center of an impossible situation, we have experienced the most abundant love from friends and total strangers, and we thank you.
We are grateful to the courageous individuals in the Nicaraguan government who fought for truth and justice to prevail in this case as well to those in the US government who provided assistance in securing Eric’s release.
This ordeal has taken an incredible physical and emotional toll on all of us, especially Eric. We thank you in advance for respecting our privacy and allowing our family to recover.”
Thursday, December 20, 2007
We are asking everyone to contact (a phone call would be more immediate, but follow up with an email if you can!) their elected representatives in the next few hours, to ask them to pressure the Nicaraguan government to carry out Eric's legal release from prison. The reason this is so urgent is that Nicaraguan government offices leave tomorrow for the lengthy holidays... we need the US government to act IMMEDIATELY to compel the Nicaraguan government to honor their own law and release Eric Volz!
Call your representative with the question "What is being done to expedite Eric Volz's release from Nicaraguan custody?"
READ THIS: Associated Press story: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jGlrnMklKMa1DSqmiTxcJLaMvRhwD8TKU66O1
TAKE ACTION: Here's how to locate your representatives:
State Department: http://contact-us.state.gov/cgi-bin/state.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php or main switchboard:
: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/ or main switchboard:
Click on the above link and locate your two State Senators
Click on the above link and locate your Congressional Representatives
Details are changing almost hourly, but here's what we know as of 10:30am Central, December 20th:
Judge Ivette Toruno, who initially convicted Eric for Doris' murder, is required to sign his release papers, but she has created various excuses to avoid doing so.
In the meantime, the original prosecutor of Eric's case (Isolda Ibarra) is attempting to overturn the Appellate Court ruling, and is filing an appeal to the Nicaraguan . She is asking that Eric be held in custody (illegally) until the Supreme Court rules. Typically, Supreme Court cases take years to process.
Nicaraguan law says that the order of the Appellate Court to free Eric should not be overridden by the filing of a Supreme Court appeal, but that Nicaraguan law is being ignored.
If Eric is held, he will certainly be moved back to the penitentiary, and may not be afforded even the minimal protection he had previously - he will be in the gravest of danger. Eric has kidney stones, and is still recovering from intestinal issues and severe asthma, which is why he has been in the prison hospital for more than 2 months now.
This morning, Penitentiary Director Molina dispatched a truck to take Eric back to the prison. This forced his visit with his mother Maggie to be cut short, due to security concerns.
- via Eric Volz google group
Monday, December 17, 2007
Merry Christmas to Maggie and Dane Anthony! I'm so happy on their behalf I can hardly contain myself. Praise God for answer to many, many prayers.
UPDATE (from the Eric Volz group on Google):
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Me, Ted (back), Cindy (who won the costume contest as Cleopatra), and Jamie (who borrowed and ROCKED one of my costumes.
Did you get the joke that is my costume yet?