Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Biggest Compliment....

Last night I was at the studio for a marathon dance lesson. We are working on a West Coast Swing choreography and needed to really practice it. I think I've got it now. Just have to work on making my feet faster.

But before I go into the rest of the story, here's a bit of background. On Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons, I go to the studio of the social dances. If a song comes on that I can belly dance to and am not otherwise occupied on the floor, I will run off into the corner or behind one of the posts and dance to it. I try to get out of the way of traffic but generally I wind up in full view of everyone.. there just isn't any place to hide, ya know. This past Saturday, they played "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani. It has a samba rhythm, and it happens to be a song I use for my belly dance practice.

So I took the choreography Linda and I have been working on and adapted it for that song. It worked out reasonably well and I had fun. That’s what matters.

David Hamilton (one of the owners… a 3-time US National Champion!) comes up in the middle of my lesson and says “Todd, I need to talk to you about your student.”

I’m thinking ‘uh-oh… what happened? I didn’t hit anyone in the parking lot. Have I violated some code-of-conduct I didn’t know about?!’ I started to get a little nervous.

“OK. What about?”

“She was so CUTE on Saturday night. What was it that I played, PK, a samba?”

“Yes. It was a samba…” now I know what he’s talking about.

“She just walked over there by the double doors and did her thing. Dancing all by her self. She didn’t care who was watching. It was great. I loved it!”

Now I’m turning 14 different shades of pink and red. So they may offer a belly dance class after all. Hee. We’ll see.