Friday, October 27, 2006

Why and Ways I love my MacBook Pro

A couple months ago, I bought a refurb MacBookPro - shortly after they were released. For a while, it has been really nothing more than a way to get on the internet and use my iPod. Until Monday that is.

I had a choreography session with Todd and David for the upcoming winter showcase. Since I don't own a camcorder, I thought I would record it with my digital camera and burn it onto DVD using iMovie and iDVD software. I've recorded video before but never pulled it off the memory card. This was the theory... I was praying that it would actually work.

The reaction from people at the studio was funny when I pulled out my tiny camera.

"THAT'S going to record the video? It's so small!"
"What? I have a 2 gig memory card in there. It will hold up to 17 minutes of video. How long do you plan to talk?"
"OK. If you say so. Start the camera on me so you can see everything from the beginning."

I'm home. Now it's time to go to work. There it is, asking me if I want to make iPhoto the default software for my Canon camera. It recognized my camera... neat! Why yes, of course. iPhoto loaded the stuff from my camera without the need for loading the special Canon software. Boom. All ready for me to view and edit. Now I can't wait to get the rest of my pictures loaded onto there! Not now - must edit video.

Without looking at the help menu, I pieced together my 2 snippets of video in iMovie. iDVD was a little more complicated. It took me about 30 minutes to figure that out and get the DVD ready to burn. I'm not sure why it took so long to index the file but 30 minutes later, I had my first DVD. It isn't super spiffy. It doesn't need to be - it's just for Todd and myself as a reference. The whole time I was thinking "this never would have been this easy on a PC - even the new one at work. WOW. I love you MacBook Pro!!!"

And Wednesday night - I was able to rip the audio from the choreography video and put it onto my iPod so that I have the music at the right tempo to practice with. Talk about one happy dancer!!! Can I even do that with a commonly available Windows program like Real or WMP? I have no idea. I don't care. I love my Mac.