Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Bastardization of Country Music

While getting ready for work this morning, I turned the TV on to CMT. What song should be playing? Bon Jovi's new single "Have a Nice Day." At first I thought 'Oh, maybe Comcast changed the channel line-up again and I've missed it.'

No. It's a clip from the CMT Crossroads concert with Bon Jovi and Sugarland, premiering this week.

You are talking to the woman whose primary belly dance music selection is Spanish/Arabic techno as opposed to Egyptian orchestra that use real Middle Eastern rhythms.. or electronica that's one step away from being Nine Inch Nails - and I've thought about using a NIN tune in a dance. Scary. I'm all for fusion music, but somehow, this just seemed wrong to me.

And on previous Crossroads concerts, the rock tunes took on a bit of a country flair. This didn't. CMT is going to play Bon Jovi's song but is VH1, also owned by MTV - as is CMT, going to play 'Baby Girl'? Probably not. What's next? Rascal Flatts meets Green Day?