Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Mingling with the Commoners

It isn't often that I go to the grocery store since I started using Plumgood. Why should I when I can order (organic) groceries online in a fraction of the time it would take me to wander through a supermarket? They are delivered to my door for a modest fee and I get my time back.

Yes, my life is so hard.

Since I started shopping through Plumgood, I have been to the actual grocery store... like... 5 times since January. I had to do it the other day. Not because I didn't place an order online. I had to cancel my debit card because I lost it (and then found it, but they won't un-cancel it), and Plumgood doesn't take Discover.

So...that means I had to actually go to the store. And it took me an hour to buy what would have taken me 10 minutes or less to buy online. Wandering around the store to get lunch items, poking through the fruit bins to find one apple that isn't bruised all to heck...feeling a little lost. But I made it to the checkout counter.

And in front of me was this family. I saw that they had selected some food but what got me were the 10 2-liter Mountain Dews. 10. Who in the world needs 10 Mountain Dews? And 2 12-packs of Coke? That was enough to make my blood sugar rise just thinking about it! They probably spent more on soft drinks than on food. They also probably will have Mom bring home dinner from McDonald's on her way home from work as opposed to cooking anything.

The only food I clearly recall seeing was a bag of Munch'ems, but I know there was other stuff up there. But I am pretty sure it wasn't bagged salad, fresh meat, or bananas.

It was probably frozen pizza, tater tots, and Pasta-Roni. Mmm... tater tots.

Elena called me a grocery cart snob.

Industrial-strength sodium, people. After we had our last junk food binge, my face broke out with something akin to boils. Makeup couldn't hide these things. I was so embarrassed to meet with students---or anyone for that matter. Thanks to advice from Elena's Grandma T., the scars are minimal.

Yes, I am. (A grocery cart snob.) Is it more expensive to eat healthy? Nominally so. But considering the long-term benefits of healthier eating, I believe it will all work out in the end.