Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Newsflash!

"I know if I had kids, I would not be able to do the things I enjoy now. I would have to give up going to events with friends. I would have to give up part of my writing projects. I wouldn't be able to go out to concerts as much as I like, or go to museums, or take courses." - Larson

I've never been a huge fan of children (I get my small child fix from volunteering in the 1 and 2 year old room at church) and support people either way in their decisions to either have or not have children. There are couples I know who can't for medical reasons; others do not feel that they should bring a child into such a dangerous world. Others want children but want/need time to strengthen their relationship as a couple first. Still others can't wait and want babies _now!_ But only the most vapid, self-centered people would say such a thing.

Larson reminds me of 3 people I met at Sunset Grill's wine tasting class.. actually alot of the people I met at the wine tasting. Two girls and a guy sat across from me. They tried to sound important (I bet they worked for one of the records companies in Nashville), they talked about their speed dating adventure and such. I wondered if they thought they were trying out for Sex and the City as opposed to learning about Italian red wines. By the end of the night, I really did feel sorry for them.. they seemed pretty hollow and didn't have much depth.

I have news for everyone: LIFE IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.

It's about me. ;-)

No really, it isn't about me either. Is Larson going to be able to take his concerts with him at the end of his life? Is anyone going to care how many times he went to MOMA (Museum of Modern Art)?

A fundamental truth in this life: it's about relationships. The enemy of our souls, Satan, does his best to build up walls around us and seperate us. He would tell us that it's more important to pursue our own interests at the expense of others - not necessarily to hurt other people. 'It's about you and what makes you happy.'

I used to think like Larson, but not so much anymore. Why? Life is boring when I'm hanging around people my own age or marital status all the time. I love my peer group.. that's where my best friends are but they can't meet all of my relational needs. God created us to be community with one another and communities are more than must your 'tribe.'

The same idea goes for those couples who only hang around other couples and single people are pariahs.. or families who only think that other families with children the same age are worth associating with. They are all limiting themselves to just eating.. say.. chocolate.

I love chocolate but even I wouldn't want it all the time as my only food.

For my purpose, I am glad to have realized this truth now. Sure I may never marry or have children but I know that I will not be alone in my life because I made the decision now to make my relationships a priority - of all age groups.

Liberals should be concerned about the growing trend toward childless-ness. Who the heck will pay for all of the government programs for ketchup testing, cow farts, lights on baseball fields, drug benefits, and welfare if the workforce continues to decrease? That's it! It's a conspiracy!

We will be like Europe.. native born peoples will stop having children so we open the borders to immigrants and let them do the work.

Remember: everything boils back to how evil taxes are.

Source: Boston.com / News / Boston Globe / Magazine / No Kids, Please