Thursday, February 26, 2004

Personal responsibility

As a chubby person myself, I find those that are suing McDonalds for their condition to be well.. umm.. how to put this delicately.. DUMB! STUPID! LAZY! IRRESSPONIBLE! Among other very colorful adjectives.

So, when I read this quote "Activist Skip Spitzer said responsibility was little more than “a cultural construct.” " I was instantly amused. Readers of this blog know that one of my favorite phrases is "personal responsibility." You are the only one accountable for your actions. Not your parents, not your conselor, not your friends, not your dog. Just you.

I've never blamed anyone any my family for my condition.. sure, there may be some genetic predisposition as both of my parents were/are overweight. But my brother isn't. But at a certain point in my development, I can't say "my mom/nana/dad/school made me eat it."

I made a choice to have a Wendy's burger (cheese and lettuce only) over say.. a Wendy's salad - sans the entire packet of dressing. I made a choice to watch movies on the couch than get up and walk. But I'm not going to sue Wendy's over their delicious yet fattening burgers. I MADE THE CHOICE AND NOW ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES!

So, if you are thinking of using the legal system to pass the buck for your own shortcomings, don't. Suck it up and accept responsibility. Do something yourself to change your condition.

Which is just what I've been doing. I've been working out 3 to 4 times a week for almost 7 months now.. my cholestoral dropped almost 30 points.. and according to co-workers, my tushie looks better in all of my pants. My response "Donna and Stacy - why are you staring at my ass? But thanks.."

And for Lent, I will not eat out.. I will only eat meals that came from home. Now, I know.. this doesn't mean that everything will be super healthy but it's sure better than a #2 combo from McDonalds.

So when someone kills Activist Spitzer's kid (God forbid but let's follow his logic), the murderer can say he has no responsibility because he was fat or a smoker or abused - there are other reasons for his behavior. After all - it's just a construct.

Source: FOXNews.com - Government Gets Fat Fighting Obesity