Sunday, January 09, 2005

Belly Dance Photo of the Week

Helena Vlahos was probably one of the first people to really bring belly dance to the masses for Gen Xers. She is the first person I saw dance.. on That's Incredible! in the very early 80's. A couple of years before she was inducted into the Guiness Book of World Records for flipping 9 quarters on her belly - one at a time. Now, I would like to see the gym rats try that with their washboard abs!

Anyway, I saw it and flopped down on the floor in the den trying to flip the quarter like she did. She made it so easy - I had no idea that flipping a quarter is quite possibly one of the hardest things to do in belly dance. After about an hour, I gave up and went on to something else.

I came back across Ms. Vlahos in searching for pictures for this weekly feature. I may not yet be able to flip a quarter but my belly rolls are improving.. just got to get the lower abs involved. Enjoy!






9 quarters! They didn't have a pictures of her dollar bill folding trick but I bet that is really cool to see.