Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

or "Observations on Turning 30"

With my birthday - one of those milestone birthdays - now 7 days away, I've spent a little bit of time thinking about where I've been, where I thought I would have been, and where I am going.

Today, we will start with where I thought I would be when I turned 30.

At 15, I thought I would be old and life would be over at 30. I also thought that I would be the world's greatest singer and/or music promoter. I would be married out of college.

At 17, when I was an intensely liberal angry person (not they always go together), I thought I would be in the state House or Senate on my way to being the first female President. Or I thought I would be in the US Foreign Service department, working in a consulate overseas on my way to being Secretary of State.

At 20, I went into denial and annouced that I wouldn't deal with anything at the present time. "I will deal with that in therapy when I'm 30." Still wanted to work for the US State Department. Comfortable with the idea of not being married but instead living together with boyfriend... not having one at the time didn't stop me from adding that to my plan.

At 22, I thought I would be well on my way in an academic career. I should be finished with graduate school by the time I'm 30.. have an assistant teaching position and on my way to tenure.

After the age of 25, I kind of stopped thinking about where I would be at 30. Of those goals that I set at various ages, I have achieved none of them. Life kind of works like that. Is it that depressing? Not really and I will talk about that in other entries.