Tuesday, February 21, 2006

At the Ryman

This past Sunday was my second trip to the Ryman. I'm ashamed to say that I've lived in Nashville for 30 years and only went to the Ryman for a concert for the first time last December.

I repent! I shall go to the Church of Country Music more often! But they do play more than country there (and we are all glad for that).

But I was there for the country music - the MuzikMafia show to benefit the Country Music Hall of Fame with Gretchen Wilson and Big and Rich.

Show Review:

Gretchen is very confident in her ability to sing because she came out and sang the first song acapella... and without a mic. That also speaks to the acoustics of the building because once everyone shut up, you could hear her clear as bell. That rocked.

Big and Rich's show was a circus... but what else would you expect? I loved it. And the little girl down front who got John Rich's guitar became the envy of everyone the building. I saw her during intermission and she wouldn't it let go. Can't say that I blame her.

Special guest artists: Tom T. Hall and Randy Owen (of Alabama). Randy and Gretchen did a duet that was beautiful. I could listen to him sing all day long.

Fashion Review:

For crying out loud... must I be subjected to horrific fashion everywhere? I guess so. That night was particularly bad. I saw a real mullet. I mean the "business in the front/party in the back" mullet. Talking about a Billy Ray Cyrus circa 1990 mullet. On a girl.

Lesbian biker chic. Eww. She was also wearing a t-shirt where the sleeves had been ripped off so it was like a muscle tee. Double Eww.

A blue jean shirt with lace on the shoulders. That is so very 1980's Reba.

Three words: frosted Mom jeans

Two more words: frosted hair. Did I just land in a time warp that sent me back to 1987?

Those that were trying to look hip and chic were trying way too hard. One lady tried to look like Anna Wintour, Editor in Chief of Vogue magazine.

The worst one the night (as if the mullet wasn't bad enough) was this girl wearing a denim mini skirt (with lace on the hem) and halter top... in 15 degree weather. Oh! It gets better! She was wearing sparkly flip flops! Chick! It's 15 f-ing degrees outside! Put some clothes on!