Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Encounters with Nature

Little more than a year ago, I reported that a pair of hawks had made the campus their winter hunting grounds... what with the ample supply of chipmunks and squirrels.

Since then, everyone talks about seeing one of them with a dead squirrel or eating a dead squirrel - how messy it was. I thought my last encounter was close. Well, yesterday it got closer. On my way to my car at the end of the day, I saw the hawk fly into a tree up ahead. I thought "cool! Maybe I can get a picture." So I get my camera phone out (of all days to leave my digital camera at home), hoping to get close enough that one could make out that there was a bird in the tree. Just as I got past the railing, the hawk swooped down and about 18 inches away from me... straight at a trio of squirrels on the tree to my left. She then flew back up and over another student and into the tree.

I watched her make 3 more attempts to get the squirrel before moving on. One of the faculty members walking by said "We should name them Peabody. Good riddence. They need to thin out the rodent population."

As Carrie Bradshaw said "You can't make friends with a squirrel. Squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits. "