Monday, July 24, 2006

The Biggest Compliment vol. 2

This week has been all about the upcoming competition. Everything revolves around it. What I eat. What I'm wearing. Planning my evenings so that I can get my nails done, eyebrows done, hair done as well as practice.

Monday night I had another session with my coach. I was wearing my "got hips?" t-shirt because I was feeling particularly sassy, despite the major f*ck up with my dresses (that is a whole other blog post that will be completely dissing the company. As far as I am concerned, J'Ordy Dance Couture is now on the level of h.h. gregg in my book. I will NEVER shop there again. I will never recommend them to anyone. I plan on complaining to the powers that be at the studio, who brought that designer in.... but that's for another post).

After nearly crying because Todd says "I changed your entries because there was some overlap with you and another student (we are the same age and she's just a little bit more advanced, but not by much). I put you into the Peabody events."
"The what?"
"Oh, I've told you about it. We worked on it the other day, I just didn't tell you that's the dance we were working on. You'll be fine."
"What? How.. what? No. Not today. I can't get them to return my calls about the dresses as to when they are going to ship them, which leaves me in a MAJOR bind as to what I am going to wear on Thursday... now you are springing a dance on me I've never seen or done before? #)(*$# "
"Shut up."

So I did. I did fine. Probably more than fine. It's like the foxtrot but not as fast as the quick step (which is the foxtrot turned up to 12).

Anyway, after my experience with the Peabody, we went to other dances that I am more familar with, such as the Mambo. We were working on this spin when I caught David Hamiliton watching out of the corner of my eye. He was working with another student and they were both grinning. I thought they were grinning about my t-shirt. I said 'Yes, it says what you think it says. "got hips?" Ohh!!" *yanked in the other direction and then we stop."

"I was just telling her about how much I love watching you dance. You always look like you are having so much fun. It's a joy to watch," David said. The student with him nodded and agreed.

*cue PK turning bright red and hiding behind her hands*

That compliment doesn't come from just anybody. David is a three-time US national champion and a world level competitor (now retired). He has been dancing for over 25 years. I saw David and his former partner, Olga Forapanova, in an exhibition dance earlier this year. I cried (much like I do whenever I watch Ben and Shalene Ermis perform to O Mio Bambino Caro). Poetry in motion. Art.

And he said he likes to watch me dance. Wow. I must be doing something right.