Monday, July 10, 2006

Pink Kitty's Movie Review

So, like everyone else in the US, I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest this weekend. (I'm not linking it because y'all are smart enough to google it for yourselves if you are really that curious.) Spoil-eriffic review....

It was good. I liked it. More Captain Jack Sparrow - what's not to love. More cheesy goodness in the action sequences and references to the first film ("Hide the Rum." and "Why is the rum always gone" being 2 of the references). Totally unbelievable fighting ability from Elizabeth Swann (do I really think that a young lady brought up in the aristocracy of 17th Century England would be able to handle 2 swords at the same time and fend off mystical sea creatures that used to be sailors? No. I don't but it was fun to watch anyway.)

Here's my problem with it: talk about your political propaganda... the EVIL in the "Mum! Don't touch it! It's EVIL!" category person in this whole movie is the representative from the East India Trading Company. I left with a sour taste in my mouth at the implied notion that the EIC is the root of all evil over the seas; that they are worse than an immortal Davy Jones who has the Kracken eat ships because his heart was broken. Why are they worse? Because they want the heart of Davy Jones so they will control Davy Jones and therefore the Kracken. I mean... Davy Jones is evil but at least it's because he has a broken heart... not that he's a greedy capitalist.

Be sure to stay for the end of the credits. Bonus goodness!

Favorite moment of the screening: When the trailer for The Transformers movie comes up and Michael Bay's name appears and the entire audience groans. That was funny right there. I don't care who you are. All I can think of whenever I see/hear his name is "Why does Michael Bay get to keep making movies.... Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you." From Team America.