Thursday, April 01, 2004

Giving props to the Ladies

On my music recommendations of late, I've recommended cd's by some of the most talented gentlemen out there - all of whom look doggone fine in a suit.

How sexist of me, a woman, not to mention some of the wonderful female vocalists that I've been enjoying.

There's Billie Holiday - Lady Day. She's turned my Altec speakers next to my computer in to a 1940's era radio. Outstanding. Her Greatest Hits 2 cd collection is a good place to start.

Etta James - "At Last" is one of the best songs - EVER.

More contemporary - Norah Jones. Her voice is a bit different and a throwback to old smokey room jazz. Her music is crossing over on multiple charts - pop, country, jazz, and adult contemporary. We will eventually have a shrine to Ms. Jones. :)

Alicia Keys - talented, good looking, soulful with attitude. American Idol contestants miserably fail singing her songs.

Liz Johnson - Nashville sax player and vocalist. Her cds are at cdbaby.com. She's a friend of one my co-workers and as the cd made its way down the hall, she garnered more fans and performed at our Peabody staff picnic last year. (Incidentally - Helen stole my idea for the tiki lounge theme - it was way more fun than her Provencial France theme staff picnic. Blech.)

See? And you thought you were stuck with Britney Spears.