Monday, April 05, 2004

Thank you India

Do you remember that Alanis Morissette song? In yet another attempt to show us that she is somehow still relevant, Ms. Morissette stripped down to a body suit with fake nipples and other assorted naughty bits. She was 'protesting US censorship.'

I'm all for artistic expression. If you want a song full of explatives, that's fine but I do not want to hear it. You as the artist have every opportunity to do what you want - just because you are an artist doesn't mean that there will be outlets for you to get your crap... I mean... work... out to the masses.

This reminds me of a debate Ari told me about in one of his classes. A city had commissioned a piece of art. It went up; they paid the artist but afterwards, some people wanted it taken down because it was either in the way or offensive. I don't remember. Most of the people in his class sided with the artist - it should remain where it was unchanged.

Ari's point was that once the artist had been paid for the work, it was no longer his property. If the new owner wanted to use it for kindling, he could and there is nothing the artist can do otherwise. I completely agee.

And Alanis, keep your freakin' clothes on. I didn't want to see you butt naked in that video and I certainly didn't need to see the picture of you in a body suit now. Geez. I may recommend you for a make-over on What Not to Wear.

Yahoo! News - Morissette strips down to blast US "censorship"