Monday, June 20, 2005

Being a proud sister

I don't think he'll mind if I share the email that I received from my brother on Saturday, especially given all the fussiness at NashvilleIsTalking and Lance In Iraq. I think there needs to be some good news from what's going on with our military (I know they are talking about Gitmo but anyway....):
Dear PK,

I just wanted to tell about the humanitarian mission I was privilaged to go on. I was really blessed to go. Those kids and adults are just dying for things American. I gave away some apple-caramel Newtons that BamaGirl sent me. I don't know if they were a hit because I found one of the Newtons on the ground broken in half. I got my picture taken with a few of the little ones too.

I don't want this to sound like it was all fun and games. This is still a very poor country. I've witnessed it. The kids would fight each other for whatever they could get. Moms would hand stuff to their kids to guard it. It was madness.

I am really thankful to have gone on it. Despite the actions of the locals. Seeing how I'm making a difference here makes me eager to get home so I can make a difference there.

Take care and I hope you are doing well.

Love,
UT Man