Thursday, December 02, 2004

The Horror of Horrors

The other night, I was flipping through the channels and landed on "Sex and the City." Yes, it's fluff.. and I should do something more productive like get a root canal but just hang in there.

It is not among my regular shows to watch and most of my knowledge has been picked up through osmosis. Each episode has Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker) at her computer for one scene writing out part of her column. During this scene Tuesday night, she was reflecting on relationship karma and what goes around comes around.. and why the men in she and her friends lives would leave.

The speech went something like this:
"It isn't your ex, or the one before that.. or even the one before that is the problem. What if, the horror of horrors, it is us?"
After I picked myself up off the floor from rolling off the couch for laughing, I had my own mini-epiphany. "They have no idea it is them." They are so wrapped up in their shoes, their self-help books, their clothes, and their own neurotic behavior that they can't see they are the reason men only stay around for sex and want no conversation.

They are so perfect in their world, the very idea that something could be wrong is so foreign that it's disgusting. "Eww... something is wrong with me? Noooo. You must be mistaken." It hits them like a ton of bricks. And at least on the show, none of them did anything to change this. No softening of the edges, no therapy.