Friday, December 03, 2004

Scratches to the Post - I will be your Father Figure

George Michael opines:
Welcome ladies to the year 2004. A time in which women are empowered, self-sufficient, and deserve to recite the mantra, "Hear me roar". Women have been suppressed by society enough in the past and if a man can't stick around and handle a strong female, that just shows his own weakness. Perhaps if y'all bothered to watch a little more of the show, you'd take to the character Charlotte. While perhaps in even your eyes, she may be seen as progressive, she's notorious in the show for touting "victorian morals" of pleasing men at all costs. You women are my worst fear. If I ever feel so intimidated by my man, or so afraid that he'll leave me if I express an opinion, that I do nothing but walk around on eggshells and crack open beers for him, I hope I drop dead.
Is George crying out for Freedom.. oh Freedom!?

Question one: Is this a parody? (via Nate)
Question two: Is George a woman or is he gay?
Question three: Just what on earth are you talking about?

No one here was saying they identified with one character or another. If they did, I missed it. I'm with Vox Day on this: male or female (though females tend to do this more often), it's a sorry personal state if you go around saying "I'm so Charlotte!" "I'm so Samantha!" That's just scary.

Well, I'm just so Marilyn Manson... though I would prefer to be Dita Von Teese... *shudder*

Charlotte is in no way espousing "Victorian morals." The woman is obsessed with marriage - "a sorority she's desperate to pledge" to paraphase the very first episode of SATC. She dumped a guy who was equally obessesed with marriage because they had different china patterns. Come ON! Only in comparison to a Samantha could a Charlotte be viewed as having a high moral standard. Instead of sleeping with the guy on the first night, she waits until date 4.

But to be serious, as Elena said via email to me this morning, there is nothing wrong with service. It is a noble offering and calling. As Christians we are called to serve - as Christ himself came to serve. Now, because of our fallen state, we tend to fall way short of serving everyone with a glad heart.

All we have to do now
Is take these lies and make them true somehow
All we have to see
Is that I don't belong to you
And you don't belong to me