Wednesday, March 03, 2004

At the risk of sounding incredibly naive

Well, sheltered might be more appropriate.

Yesterday was a great day. Beautiful, a bit cool in the evening. Lots of sunshine. So, on my home, I lowered the windows and cranked up the Keith Urban cd.

I came to an intersection and was trying to turn left but a car was blocking oncoming traffic so other vehicles coming behind him had to pull around. This made that little bit of the street narrow enough for only one car at a time. Two men were out walking around the car.

Did I mention there were kids playing on the lawn opposite this parked car?

Then a red four door car pulled up along side and the passenger window went down, subjecting my delicate sensibilities to horrible rap music. Guy 1 leaned over and there was a conversation for like 30 seconds (or what felt like about 30 minutes). Guy 1 received at least $20 from the car, walked back to his, and gave the person in the car a little white packet. More words were exchanged and the car drove off.

As I watched this exchange, I first began to pray that God would get me out. I then thought I wish I had a gun to protect myself. Then I was wondering how the hell to get out of there. Eventually, I was able to get through and made it home safely without anyone following me.

When I got home and began to share this story, it's been interesting to note how surprised my surburban friends and family have been. Their reaction was the same as mine. We knew it happened but it only happened on Cops. Or we all know someone who did drugs but not witness the buying and selling.

So, my dad and I will be going shopping.. he recommended Sig Sauer to me. If you have any suggestions, please send an email to me.
My hand is too small for something full size.