Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I hate chick flicks.

Really. I loathe them. I detest the marketing of them.. that pink (ironic) fuzzy (even more ironic) 'you are woman, roar big and strong' crap.

Why I hate this "50 best chick flick" list:

1) There are alot of movies I've never heard of on this list.
2) There are alot of movies I HATE on this list.

Of the movies on the list I know something about, they can be classified in to several categories:

She-Ra (The woman is powerful and a warrior - either physical or emotional/psychological. Oh yeah - and men suck.) Wronged women getting even fall under this category. So does the Lifetime channel.

ex. Aliens. Thelma and Loise, The Color Purple, What's Love Got to do with it?

Cinderella (The woman goes through some kind of transformation and is better on the other side.)

ex. Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (WHAT? This was just a plain stupid movie. How did it make the list? Oh.. that's right, this was in Oprah's magazine.), Pretty Woman. In a round about way: Lovely and Amazing, Bridget Jones' Diary.

Other categories I'm sure are represented but I don't know enough about the movies to say so:

Florence Nightingale (The woman resuces somebody from something and learns about herself in the process and finds love. Awwww.)

Class warfare (well-to-do of one gender and not-so-well-to-do of the other fall in love). May also include May-December stories.

L'Affaire de coeur - even though one of us is married. We must follow our bliss!

I've only seen a few of the movies on this list - 5 out 50 to be exact. Some of the older ones I like because the are classic films with some of the iconic scenes we all know (ex: Breakfast at Tiffany's). But come on! Desperately Seeking Susan? That should be on the list of "why Madonna should not be an actress."

Lists of Bests : O, The Oprah Magazine's "50 Greatest Chick Flicks of All Time"