Thursday, November 04, 2004

Scratches to the Post

Rick P writes in to ask the Empress:
The Big Questions on my mind are , How is the Professor taking Bush's win? and What's the general attitude among all the academics on your campus?
I don't know all the academics on campus, so I can only speak for what I've overheard from my office. I've not directly engaged the whining masses, but this is what I've heard:

"How...?"
"War mongers."
"Those that voted for Bush are stupid and mis-informed."

When I shared this with The Professor last night (who was recovering from the jolt), he said "that is not a fair statement to make. Bush voters are not mis-informed. And before we finish talking about politics, I have one thing to say: Congratulations. Your man won."

So, no picking on The Professor for being on the losing side! Thus spake The Empress.

Back to the campus mood, yesterday, the people across the hall went on forever.. consoling each other, licking the emotional wounds.. calling W "The Chimp" and our foreign policy "juvenile, dangerous, and irresponsible."

"I'm scared to live here for another 4 years."
"We are less safe now."
"Don't people see how divisive W is?"
(my mental response was "More people voted for W than ever before. Not even Clinton got 50% of the vote in his 2 terms.")

When walking around, it felt as though the entire campus was slumping its shoulders.. dejected, demoralized, confused. They just can't imagine that people don't.. think.. like.. them! Everyone they know agrees with them....

Now, The Empress often jokes that everyone should share her opinion and that would make life alot easier. True, but it would also make it boring. I don't often venture onto the left side of the spectrum, but I do know enough to say 'There are other people out there who have different opinions.. who have reasoned them out and come to a different conclusion. That's cool. Just keep the moonbats away.'