Friday, September 03, 2004

Last night was a fun night with Miss O'Hara's gang from Xanga and our buddy Blake from Nashvillefiles blog. We watched the convention and discussed it as it went along. The wonders of technology. Plans for virtual parties for the debatesand election night.

What I liked about the speech:

The theme of nothing will hold us back.
It was a very strong, well-delivered speech. It reminded me of his address to the nation after 9/11.
The video preceding his speech. The emotional impact of 9/11 has faded - how we felt; how we came together from across the country to help. I remember seeing the long lines at Red Cross centers around the country; construction workers driving to NYC and Washington help.
Possibility of tort reform and limits on medical liability suits.
Hints at reformation of tax code (maybe flat tax? value added tax), social security
Acknowledging that most Americans do not receive their higher education from 4 year colleges. They get them through technical programs and community colleges.
Support of Israel.
Support of military and military families - hoooah!
Self-deprecating humor

What I didn't like

More governement programs targeted at education and health care.
Said he wanted to reduce government spending yet his record is such that he would make even the most liberal spender proud.
His occasional digs at Kerry could backfire.
One sentance in Spanish - is that pandering?

While it may seem that there are more likes than dislikes in my analysis, my dislikes are pretty close to my heart. He's swelled the size of government to levels never seen before. Once a program gets in, it will likely never be closed. How are we going to pay for all of the new programs proposed in the last few years as well as the new ones AND have permanent tax cuts?

I know I'm not voting for Kerry. Whether I vote for GWB or Michael Badnarki (the LP candidate) remains to be seen.

WorldNetDaily: Text of President Bush's acceptance speech