Friday, September 03, 2004

Protests as the musical Evita



Requiem aeternum dona Evita
Requiem aeternum dona Evita
Requiem Evita
Requiem Evita
Evita, Evita, Evita, Evita
----
(Che:)
Oh what a circus, oh what a show

Argentina has gone to town
Over the death of an actress called Eva Peron

----


(Peron:)
Argentinos, Argentinos
We're all workers now
Fighting against our common enemy
Poverty, social injustice
Foreign domination of our industries
Reaching for our common goals
Our independence, our dignity, our pride



(Eva:)
I am only a simple woman
Who lives to serve Peron in his noble crusade
To rescue his people
I was once as you are now, and I promise you this
We will take the riches from the obligarchs
Only for you, for all of you
And one day, you too will inherit these treasures


(All:)
A new Argentina, the chains of the masses untied
A new Argentina, the voice of the people
Cannot be, and must not be denied

(Che:)
How annoying that they have to fight elections for their cause
The inconvenience, having to get a majority
If normal methods of persuasion fail to win them applause
There are other ways of establishing authority



(Che:)
Tell me before I seek worthier pastures
And thereby restore self-esteem
How can you be so short-sighted
To look never further than this week or next week
To have no impossible dream?

(Eva:)
Allow me to help you slink off to the sidelines
And mock your adieu with three cheers
But first tell me who'd be delighted
If I said I'd take on the world's greatest problems
From war to pollution, no hope of solution
Even if I lived for one hundred years

(Che and Eva:)
There is evil, ever around
Fundamental system of government
Quite incidental
-------------
Pictures: communistsforkerry.com
Lyrics: Evita