Thursday, October 07, 2004

The remains of our education system

FOXNews.com - U.S. & World - Vocational Classes Fall Out of Favor

As a student of higher education administration (so my degree tells me), I often rubbed my classmates the wrong way when I said "not everyone is cut out for college - or at least a traditional 4 year degree." Some people would be happier in a vocational program learning a trade/skill.. whether it is how to be a stylist, mechanic, or landscaper. And if they are good at what they do - they make really good money (as evidenced by how much I pay the guy who cuts my hair but I always look fabulous. It's worth it.)

Given the obsession with pursuing advanced degrees that often have little to no bearing on many of the jobs you will have upon completion, it is no wonder high schools are dropping vocational classes.

So I can share some of what I've paid beaucoup bucks to learn, time for Empress Kitty's higher education history lesson:

College until the 1940's had largely been reserved for upper crust types. Then hundreds of thousands of troops were coming home from World War II. To let them all back into the economy at that time might have been a disaster. What did the government do to give the US economy time enough to grow (and re-educate women about their proper roles and stuff so they would go back home and free up jobs for me): send the GI's to college!

*poof* GI Bill. That gives the US 4 years with lots of people not necessarily in the workforce at the same time.. they will enter at a staggered pace. GI Joe graduates, gets married, has kids.. recognizes value of college education.. pushes for more academic programs over time in high schools, saves up money, student loan programs, possibly sends kids to college. Rinse and repeat for next generation.

Add to this the lax entrance standards at many public colleges and you have a system paying more attention to the bottom line than educating its students. How many of us sat in a class with someone who should not have been admitted in the first place? They probably lacked a grasp of the English language (even though it was their native language), could have cared less about showing up at least somewhat prepared, and were more interested in the social perks of college - such as fraternity row.

George Leef
has this to say about some college curricula:
In my view, the reason is that colleges and universities are so eager to enroll students that they have turned themselves into retailers of a product — a degree — that many young Americans want just for itself and not because of any learning that it entails.

University of Florida professor James Twichell contends that universities have changed to suit student tastes: “What used to be the knowledge business has become the business of selling an experience, an affiliation, a commodity that can be manufactured, packaged, bought, and sold.”

College degrees are today often little more than credentials that students want to get as cheaply as possible. Watering down the curriculum is one way for colleges and universities to satisfy their customers.
Gone are the days when one could be challenged by a true liberal arts curriculum based on the Great Books. There are still a handful of places like University of Dallas and Hillsdale College that use it. (Though at UD there wasn't much discussion going on the days I was visiting. The professors tried to bait the students but no takers.)

I was very blessed to be at Belmont where contemporary theory was based on classic philosophy and literature. When I looked at doctoral programs, I realized I was trying to re-capture that time at Belmont where Elena, myself and a few others would sit on the nasty yellow couches up in the Philosophy department and debate for hours. It was a feeling that I was contributing to an intellectual tradition that had been going on for hundreds of years, a sense of community with other budding scholars.. and a chance to hang around some really cute guys.

The most important development out of our discussions was that I know what Hume's Theory of Causality is.. and just because you hit the 8 ball into the corner pocket every time in the past doesn't mean that this time, it isn't going to jump up and start singing Danny Boy (- Mark Anderson).

I think that is also part of the reason why I blog and read blogs. I don't think my little plot on the blogosphere will change anything but I have very much enjoyed engaging with you fine folks on a variety of issues and hope to do so many times in the future.